- Ancient Lineage Pre 1066
- De Quincey Family 1035 - 1730
- De Quincey Family 1730 - 1970
- Seals of Roger de Quinci
- Family Gallery
- The Crusades
- 1000 Years of Christianity
- Emigration to America
- Civil War 1215 -1217
- Ships & The de Quincey Family
- Wills & Probate
- The Bothel Stone
- History of Bothel
- Pen & Ink
- Cockermouth After The Floods
- Cockermouth Wall Art
- Contact & Guest Book
The Crusades: The Magna Charta & Knights Templar
In 1189 the monks of Newbattle Abbey granted the lands of Fa'side to the de Quincy family and it was this family that built the first castle on the site of what is now a totally restored Fawside Castle privately owned. The castle is less than 10 miles from Rosslyn Chapel now of Da Vinci Code fame. A full account can be found by reading Notes on the Scottish De Quency's of Fawside and Leuchars by William W. Ireland,M.D.,FSA Scot (www.electricscotland.com.) The title of Earl of Winchester was first borne by Saher de Quincy who was awarded the title by King John on the 13th of March 1207 Saher later fell out with the king over the matter of the concession to England to the Pope and was one of the leading Barons who persuaded John to sign the Magna Charta on June 15th 1215 when he was named one of the 25 Barons charged with enforcing its observance. Later together with Robert Fitzwalter, was responsible for inviting Louis of France to assume the crown of England in 1216 and led the pro-French forces at the battle of Lincoln Fair in 1217. Saher was defeated and throne into prison and his estates forfeited, they were restored to him in October 1217 on condition that he went on Crusade. In 1218 he departed for the Holy Land and was there at the siege of Damietta. He died on November 3rd,1219. His elder son Robert was also on Crusade with him along with Roger de Quincy his second son. Saher was also created with rewriting the Magna Charta from the charta of King Henry I and the Saxon code.
The signing of the Magna Charta at Runnymead 15th June 1215
In the mid 70s a pile of brokenTemplar grave slabs were seen lying in a track they were moved to the Barletta museum and found to be Simon de Quincy of Quincy-le Vicomte.
Roger de Quincy was also known as a Templar of the Crusades as the next picture shows
The following pictures show the clothing that the Knights of the Templar wore.